Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where does C. S. Lewis write "If christianity is false..." I can't find it. I have God in the Dock. Urgent

Hi


Need to deliver an assignment at 10:00 AM Thursday Middleeuropean time, and I need a reference for the C. S. Lewis quote: "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important"


I can see, that some people tells it is in "God in the dock" I just can't find it.


I have Walter Hoopers edition from Harper Collins 1998. Could someone tell me which essay it is in, please?


The better the reference, the better.

Where does C. S. Lewis write "If christianity is false..." I can't find it. I have God in the Dock. Urgent
I'm pretty sure it is a few pages before the end of the essay "Christian Apologetics" from God in the Dock.





I'll verify that if I can and get back to you.





OK verified. Find footnote 18 in "Christian Apologetics." The quote you are looking for is in the following paragraph.





The exact quote is,





"One must keep on pointing out that Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."





The word "no" is italicized in the book, but I cannot replicate that here.





Good luck on your assignment.





The version I'm looking at is the U.S. paperback version published in 1994. I feel certain that it is this version one is seeing on line at this site:





http://books.google.com/books?id=I6xWiVD...





The quote is on page 101.





Well I've edited this response a number of times. The version on line apparently is not one I listed earlier, but was publiched in Michigan, USA. The Title page shows the some of the publication information.





http://books.google.com/books?id=I6xWiVD...





The best I can do at this point, without knowing more of your situation, is to point to this page:





http://www.amazon.com/review/product/080...





On it is a list of essays and a list of collections, with an indication of which essays are published in which collections. It contains a reference to "Christian Aplogetics" and notes four other collections besides "God in the Dock" that contain this essay. These are:


(1) "The Grand Miracle, and Other Selected Essays on Theology and Ethics"





(2) "Timeless at Heart: Essays on Theology"





(4) "First and Second Things: Essays on Theology and Ethics"





(6) "Compelling Reason"








Please let me know whether this is helpful to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment